Pre– Kindergarten Program
- Practice the morning routines such as a “moment of silence” or pledge to the flag
- Have the children practice raising hands to answer questions
- Practice carrying items on cafeteria trays (or cookie sheets) - this can be done in centers as
well as during meals and snacks or on the playground
- Learn to open individual milk cartons and straws
- Learn to open individual condiment (ketchup, mustard, etc.) packets
- Practice walking as a group from the classroom to other locations in the building
- Have the children go to another classroom so another teacher can "teach" them a brief
special lesson (such as music or P.E). This helps the children get used to the idea that they
may have other teachers for "specials"
- Answer "roll call"
- Practice getting on and off a school bus
- Practice checking out library books (using a card) from the public library, classroom
library, or site office
- Read aloud children’s books that are about Kindergarten
- Learn to sharpen a pencil
- Plan activities that require cooperative interaction. Some ideas are: o Work with a friend to
put together teacher made puzzles o Work with a friend to match simple word cards with
symbol cards /Work with a friend to match classmates’ name with their picture /Paint
with a partner / Build with a buddy /Group or partner playground games.